3971 Tennyson Street
Denver, Colorado 80212 USA
I am a professional photographer, teacher and Community Arts Activist. I have been capturing history with my camera for over twenty years and creating art even longer. From the University of Colorado, Boulder I received a BFA in Photography, a BFA in Sculpture and with my professional experiences I bring a unique perspective to your project. As a historical photographer I have worked for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for over 15 years. During that time I have responded to over 55 disasters, including 9-11 World Trade Centers, Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Red River floods, Colorado wildfires, and National Security Events such as the 2002 winter Olympics and 2008 Democratic National Convention.
I have also worked internationally too, using my lens to capture moments of community building and artistic expression throughout the world, including Thailand, Egypt, and Europe. My artistic expressions are drawn from my life experiences. Whether I am working in clay, steel, chalk pastels or photo etching I strives to communicate what I have seen and believe.
A native Coloradan, I am a leader in the Colorado arts community supporting the work of the next generation of artists. As Art Director for Larimer Arts Association and the curating artist for Project LEAD, a program that helps bring arts education into the Denver Public Schools. In 2004 I was honored with a Distinguished Service Award from the Colorado Art Education Association.
My work has been shown in many galleries, festivals and museums through out the United States. My photos have been published all over the world and are part of the Smithsonian’s Photographic History Collection Archives.
• Photographer / Artist / Producer.
o Lapis Studio Denver. Denver, CO. Owner 1997-present.
o Event Photographers. Denver, CO. Owner 1988-present.
o Nusura. Disaster exercise and senior photographer. 2003-present.
• Historical Photographer
o FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) Region VIII,
Denver, CO. o Disaster Assistance Employee. 1996-present.
• Art Director / Artist / Curator.
Denver Chalk Art Festival. o Larimer Arts Association . Denver CO. 2002-present.
• Art Teacher. Bicentennial Art Center Aurora 1991-present
• Celebrate Colorado Artists. Director of Education. 2000-2003.
• Coloradan, The Yearbook. CU Boulder, Editor 1990. Photographer 1987-1994. •
Colorado Daily. Boulder, CO. Photographer 1989-1991.
MUSEUMS • COLLECTIONS:
• Smithsonian National Museum of American History.
o Photographic History Collection Archives.
• History Colorado Museum. Permanent collection.
• 9-11 Memorial & Museum. Permanent collection.
• KØS Museum of Art in Public Spaces, Memorials. Denmark
• Columbus Museum of Art. Permanent collection.
• Musée des Sapeurs-Pompiers de Lyon et du Rhône, Lyons, France.
• Denver’s Emergency Operation Center, Colorado.
• FEMA Region VIII Headquarters, Denver, Colorado.
• Tribute Center, New York City, NY. Permanent collection.
• Library of Congress, National Archives. Washington DC.
• City Life. Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) NY, NY. 2002
• The New York Historical Society, Photographic Archives.
• Colorado History Collection, University of Colorado-Boulder.
• Heartland Regional Emmy, Community Public Service (PSA) Campaign 2015
• Camera Obscura Gallery, The Art of Photography, 1st Place –People 2010
• Colorado Art Education Association, Distinguished Service Award. 2004
• IFEA Pinnacle Award. Larimer Arts Association. Project LEAD. 2003
Silver Award –Best Educational Program.
• IFEA Pinnacle Awards, Celebrate Colorado Artists. 2001
Emerging Artists Public Art Program
Bronze Awards- Best Educational Program & Community Outreach
• American Photo. Contest 3. Photojournalism. 1994
• PICA Awards. Best of Category- Yearbook. The Coloradan, (Editor & Photographer) University of Colorado, Boulder CO. 1990
• Month of Photography, 2017
o Flipside. Art Students League of Denver. CO
o Face to Face, Lapis Gallery, Denver, CO.
o Larimer Square Walkway Gallery, Denver, CO
• Mo Print, Art Students League of Denver. 2016
• Art & Soul, Soul Struck. National Juried Exhibition | 2015
o Juror: Christopher Heinrich, PhD, Director of the Denver Art Museum
• Miami Photo Salon, Miami , Florida. 2014
• The Portrait Transcended. Gallery at DPAC (Denver Performing Arts Complex) 2013
• Remembering 9/11. International Center for Photography, NYC 2011-2012
• 9/11 Remembered. Théâtre de la Ville, Paris 2011
• Camera Obscura Gallery, The Art of Photography, Denver CO 2010
• Exposed, Mayer Fine Art Gallery. Norfolk, VA. 2010
• DIA, Colorado, See the New West Like a Local. 2008-2009
• National September 11 Memorial & Museum, Traveling exhibition. 2007-on going
• Here Is New York: Remembering 9/11. New-York Historical Society. 2007
• Gallery of Artist, Denver Public Library, Museum District. 2006-2007
• Hands Along The Nile, 50th Anniversary, Egyptian Embassy, Washington DC. 2004
• HOPE. Madame Tussauds, NYC, NY. 2002-2005
• Creator Mundi Gallery, Cherry Creek North, Denver CO 2001-2009
• Here Is New York. Gallery and Book. SoHo, NY, NY Oct. 2001-on going
• Gallery at 2nd, Cherry Creek North, Denver CO 1995-1998
• Lapis Rose Studio Gallery. Denver, CO 1993-1994
•Threshold of the 90’s. Macky Gallery, Boulder CO. Awarded “Best of Show” 1990
SCHOOL • SPECIAL TRAINING • MEMBERSHIP:
• University of Colorado, BFA Photography & BFA Ceramic Sculpture. 1990
• Photography at the Summit with National Geographic. Steamboat, CO. 1990
• Colorado Press Association 1991-present.